First off, I thought I'd clear up some confusion. I'm sure some of you are wondering why I refer to my daughter as Kiwi instead of her name. When I was first pregnant, I had a dream that we were announcing our second pregnancy and our son told everyone that "Momma is having my Kiwi" because he couldn't say her name. After we found out we were indeed having a girl, the nickname stuck. If you are wondering why I call her that on the blog, its just a personal choice, just like I have never said what her actual birth date was.
On to what I actually wanted to talk about....our struggles with formula. This is a touchy subject for a lot of people, so, let me say, I am not against breast feeding at all. This is what works best for us. Kiwi did receive pasteurized breast milk (PHM) in the NICU so she did get some of those very precious antibodies.
In fact, it was coming off the the PHM that first alerted us to the fact she might have a problem with lactose based formula. This was, however, after NEC was ruled out. She was started on Nutramigen, other wise known as Liquid Gold. Why? because it costs $40 a can. The nurses immediately advised me to get in contact with a WIC office, but I knew we didnt qualify. So, Kiwi came home on Liquid Gold. We went though it faster though because we had to mix it to 22 calories. Standard formula is only 20 calories.
At her 2 month checkup, I asked Kiwi's pediatrician if we could possibly try Soy. He saw no problem with that, so we did. While it was less expensive, it made her fussier and gassier; two things you don't need in an already colicky baby. I kept her on it hoping it would get better, but it hasn't.
In our daily Skype session Thursday, Michael and I decided to try the Preemie formula. Its going on 3 days, and I've never had a happier baby. She has had her standard colicky time, but for the most part, she has been a totally different baby.
Here's hoping the happy baby stays.
So happy to hear this!
ReplyDelete